- Bought a slow Cooker , made soups/stews (and also roasts!) in the living room. It made a difference to my small living room. Days with slow cooker around need less "boost" for my storage heaters. The photo in the link is how my slow cooker looked like. You might get it cheaper from a local store!
- Boil water in the living room! I brought my kettle into my living room, and make coffee and tea from a small table! Cozy! The warmth from a hot kettle of water helps!
- Keep feet warm. This made a lot of difference. I prefer to wear those fleecy socks. Allow my feet total freedom - important for an arthritic patient
- Fleece blanket/throws. I put a throw over my shoulder/on my laps when I am sitting down to read etc. I guess it is an old trick which everyone knows.
- Yoga Mat - good insulator for non-carpeted floor, and the perfect place to stretch!
- To get those cold feet warm-- dance!!! Put on some nice CDs, DVDs and get moving! It is easy to forget moving. No matter how tired, painful, put on some nice, groovy entertainig stuff and just move! - even if it is only for a minute.
- The hot towels always worked. particularly useful when you just come in from outside, or when there are sore muscles. I have describedy this before.
- Windows, doors - draught excluders etc. There are plenty of these advice about keeping your house warm, and it is useful to check and see what could be implemented.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Keeping warm - while at home
Here are some tried and tested way to keep myself warm while at home.
Keeping the whole house warm is going to cost most that just keeping one or two rooms warm, we all know that. So, one of the key things that I do is decide where I want to be most of the time, and keep that room warm and toasty.
In my first winter as a fibromite, I noticed that it did not take too much effort from my small kitchen warm. I guess it is because of all the cooking - making stews, using the oven and boiling water. However, the kitchen was not the most comfortable place to stay for a whole day!
Therefore, I made these simple changes which helped me to stay warm and not burst the heating bills:
these two are ultimate partners