Sunday, April 16, 2006

My fibro and the doctor

(image placeholder)After being influenced by Devin’s works,(Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: A Survival Manual) I set about trying to distinguish whether I had Fibromylagia or just chronic myofascial pain.  When I say the doctor last week, I tried my best to get the referrals. I must say it is not too bad, I got referred to an Alexandra Technique practitioner for a start, to try to identify whether there are any irregularities in the way I work. I really hoped to see a physiotherapist or another body worker who might be able to sort out these muscles stuff.
I know that it is going to be an uphill battle. My doctor repeatedly told me my blood tests came back normal, only my ESR was slightly elevated. He thought the main problem should be my weight, with my BMI reaching 32!!! I know that I am huge, and I struggle keep it off. It is an uphill battle. What I got was a referral to see a dietician instead. I really wanted to tell him, this is not really what I need now. I need to sort out those cramps. Exercise was suggested. I told him I walk a great deal. No that was not enough; I needed to go to a gym, he said.
I did not argue with him, though I long to tell him that it was what I tried to do, and I always get worse because of it. I cannot afford to keep on getting flares, one after another because of gym work!
Technorati tags:Health,medical research, fibromyalgia, chronic pain

No comments: